Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Season by Sarah MacLean

Seventeen year old Lady Alexandra is strong-willed and sharp-tongued -- in a house full of older brothers and their friends, she had to learn to hold her own. Not the best makings for an aristocratic lady in Regency London. Yet her mother still dreams of marrying Alex off to someone safe, respectable, and wealthy. But between ball gown fittings, dances, and dinner parties, Alex, along with her two best friends, Ella and Vivi, manages to get herself into what may be her biggest scrape yet.

When the Earl of Blackmoor is mysteriously killed, Alex decides to help his son, the brooding and devilishly handsome Gavin, uncover the truth. But will Alex's heart be stolen in the process? In an adventure brimming with espionage, murder, and other clandestine affairs, who could possibly have time to worry about finding a husband? Romance abounds as this year's season begins!

Judging this book by it's cover I thought it would be a lot like Gossip Girl set in Regency England but as I got only a few pages into it I realized this was a novel that held it's own. There was just enough history in the book without being overwhelming period based and I loved looking up the different dress styles on google to see what they looked like! Clearly, MacLean had a great understanding of Regency England and wove it into the story flawlessly.

The book was written brilliantly, as well. Pages and pages flew past me while I was reading. I was completely drawn into the tale. MacLean adopted some of the writing characteristics and the sayings of the time period she was writing in which made her writing pop! I can't express enough how well written this book is!

The love story between Gavin and Alex was heartfelt. I found myself giggling when Alex did during their encounters and feeling my heart melt at their realistic and romantic love for each other. I was completely envious of Alex! I also adored the friendship of Alex, Vivi, and Ella and really appreciated how each character had their own vivid personality!

Lastly, as if all of that wasn't enough to rush to the library to pick up a copy to read, this novel was filled with adventure and intrigue! Also, completely well woven into the tale. Who doesn't love a good romantice and adventure story? This novel had me gushing and biting my nails at the same time! I adored it!

Rating: 5.0 (Definitely pick this one up!)

Happy Reading!

1 comment:

MissA said...

I really enjoyed reading this book. I thought the same thing you did, thinking it would be like Gossip Girl set in 1800s England. The characters were great and the love aspect was so cute. At first I was annoyed that it seemed more about a romance than a mystery, but I ended up not caring it because the book was so good. Good review :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails