Thursday, July 2, 2009

Cover Love!

So I'm almost done with Dairy Queen, I'll hopefully be doing a review of that tomorrow. Then I have 4 other books from the library I have to get through (that sounded more like a chore than it really is!) which are:

Devilish
by Maureen Johnson
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin
and finish If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Then I have a bunch of books coming in the mail and a few on hold for me at the library (oh, how I love the interweb!)

But for now here is some Cover Love hosted by Bookworm!

The New:


My Big Nose and Other Natural Disasters by Sydney Salter

From amazon:

It’s the end of junior year, and summer is about to begin. The Summer of Passion, to be exact, when Jory Michaels plans to explore all the possibilities of the future--and, with any luck, score a boyfriend in the process. But Jory has a problem. A big problem. A curvy, honking, bumpy, problem in the form of her Super Schnozz, the one thing standing between Jory and happiness. And now, with the Summer of Passion stretched before her like an open road, she's determined for Super Schnozz to disappear. Jory takes a job delivering wedding cakes to save up for a nose job at the end of the summer; she even keeps a book filled with magazine cutouts of perfect noses to show the doctor. But nothing is ever easy for accident-prone Jory--and before she knows it, her Summer of Passion falls apart faster than the delivery van she crashes. In her hilarious and heartbreaking debut novel, Sydney Salter delivers a story about broadening your horizons, accepting yourself, and finding love right under your nose.

Why do I love this cover? Maybe it's because I played with barbies up until I was about 12 (embarrassing, I know). Barbies are just so fascinating to me. They're so cute and fake looking that I'm drawn to them every time I see one. Also, the sheer irony of having a barbie as the cover of a book about wanting to get a nose job is very funny.

The Not-so New:

Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson

I would put the summary on here via book jacket but my best friend is currently borrowing it so here it is from amazon (I think it's the same anyway):

Scarlett Martin has grown up in a most unusual way. Her family owns the Hopewell, a small hotel in the heart of New York City. Her nineteen-year-old brother, Spencer, is an out of work actor facing a family deadline to get his career in order. Eighteen-year-old Lola has the delicate looks of a model, the practical nature of a nurse, and a wealthy society boyfriend. Eleven-year-old Marlene is the family terror with a tragic past.
When the Martins turn fifteen, they are each expected to take over the care of a suite in the once elegant, now shabby Art Deco hotel. For Scarlett’s fifteenth birthday, she gets both a room called the Empire Suite, and a permanent guest named Mrs. Amberson. Scarlett doesn’t quite know what to make of this C-list starlet, world traveler, and aspiring autobiographer who wants to take over her life. And when she meets Eric, an astonishingly gorgeous actor who has just moved to the city, her summer takes a second unexpected turn.
With Mrs. Amberson calling the shots, Spencer’s career to save, Lola’s love life to navigate around, and Marlene’s prying eyes everywhere, things won’t be easy. Before the summer is over, Scarlett will have to survive a whirlwind of thievery, Broadway glamour, romantic missteps, and theatrical deception.
The show, as they say, must always go on . . . .
Scarlett,
Are you still asleep? I can hear you in there, snoring away. I need the following:
White plum tea (whole leaf, loose, organic)
Yerba maté lotion
Dance tights
Laptop computer (I’ll leave it to you to pick one out)
A book on how to write a book
A spicy tuna roll (brown rice)
A list of all plays currently on Broadway
Matches
$4000 should be enough. I’ve shoved the money under your door (see it?). I need these things by noon. I’m meditating now. I want my change, but feel free to take cabs if the purchases are too heavy.
Get the sushi last, obviously. And wake up! We have work to do!
- Mrs. A


Why I love this cover: Because it seems so classic (and classy) to me. Girl in black dress wearing red lipstick. Also, her standing behind a counter with an old fashioned bell is intriguing, is it not? Anyway, I really like this cover. Maybe it's the dark colors, maybe it's the look on the model's face that makes me want to know what she's looking at. But I dig it. haha!

What covers are you guys attracted to?

Happy Reading!

2 comments:

Marie said...

I just got one of the other books in the Dairy Queen series but have not read Dairy Queen! Can't wait to read your review!

Bookworm said...

Thanks for participating in Cover Love! I totally agree--the plastic doll on the first cover is so cute and funny, and Suite Scarlett is gorgeous, too. Have you seen the paperback for that one? I love it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails