Sunday, July 26, 2009

Coffeehouse Angel by Suzanne Selfors

When Katrina spots a homeless guy sleeping in the alley behind her grandmother’s coffee shop, she decides to leave him a cup of coffee, a bag of chocolate-covered coffee beans, and some pastries to tide him over. Little does she know that this random act of kindness is about to turn her life upside down. Because this adorable vagrant, Malcolm, is really a guardian angel on a break between missions. And he won’t leave until he can reward Katrina’s selflessness by fulfilling her deepest desire. Now if only she could decide what that might be . . .

Have you ever read a book that once you're finished you loved it so much that you couldn't express it in words? Well, that's how I feel right now. And, believe or not, I hate coffee. But I couldn't get enough of this novel! Ir was as sweet as drinking liquid sugar.

Katrina was very real for me. I understand trying to find your talent, your "thing", and seeing everyone else around you find it so easily. I also loved Katrina and Vincent's friendship. It explored some really tough issues that guy and girl friends have to face that most authors would try to overcome by making the two characters fall in love. But Selfors really thought about the trials and triumphs of a guy-girl friendship.

And Malcolm. How could you not love him? He was funny (I LOVED that he wore a kilt, and that everyone called it a skirt) and caring, and human. Even an angel has flaws and Malcom's were so very human and I loved that. I also appreciated that the novel wasn't based around Katrina's love life. There was real depth to this novel. There were plot twists that I absolutely didn't see coming but made the story so much more enjoyable!

If I liked coffee, this would be that comforting cup I had every morning when I woke up. This novel is a perfect feel-good story that I'm definitely going to re-read on a snowy evening curled up with a blanket. This novel was written and told beautifully and it makes me want to find an angel of my own.

Rating: 4.5

Happy Reading!

4 comments:

Allison said...

Great review :) I haven't been able to get my hands on this book yet, but I am so looking forward to reading it. Especially after all I've heard about it!

Briana said...

Yay! I love hearing how good this book is :D

-Briana

Diana Dang said...

This one seems so cute! I want to read it very much!

Mavie said...

Great review! This book seems really good.

Related Posts with Thumbnails