Monday, November 16, 2009

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton's type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy–loving best friend riding shotgun—but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl. Love, friendship, and a dead Austro-Hungarian archduke add up to surprising and heart-changing conclusions in this ingeniously layered comic novel about reinventing oneself.

What can I say? I love John Green! I feel like you can figure out a Theorem for his novels. Something to do with variables including: a teenage boy, a journey, a girl, a best friend, and a "eureka" moment. Even though the "eureka" moment is exclusively from this novel I feel like all of John Green's characters have a moment like that or at least strive to find it. But the unique thing about John Green's novels are that each have that journey and each journey is exciting to go on, as a reader. I particularly liked this novel (although, to be honest, I thought it would be my least favorite out of his three) because it was SO funny (I rarely laugh out loud reading books but the chapter about feral hog hunting and hornet nests was too funny to keep in, like, I had tears in my eyes). Also, it's "eureka" moment was so real. I feel like even I learned something. Like, wow. I felt like I walked away with some valuable piece of knowledge I can pass on to others. As always, the characters were amazingly developed and really fun to get to know. Green's storytelling is just awe-inspiring. His descriptions of Tennesse were thorough and real, I felt like what he described would be what I actually would see if I went there. John Green has to be the smartest writer EVER. In this novel particularly, some of the fact I learned I kept thinking to myself "where does he GET this stuff"

Overall, I LOVED it. I think this book would appeal to a wide range of readers, which makes it extra wonderful. It had romance, friendship, hilarity, and sincerity. If you haven't picked this up, do it now!

Rating: 5.0 (I have been getting lucky with all of these 5.0 books!)

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails