Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Picture Books

Trying to find a job is difficult. You need to have the right degree, the right experience, say the right things for employers to even give you a chance (even though you may be perfect for the job regardless). But something I read yesterday really struck me. A second grade teacher wrote "I had finally read enough books to be ready to teach". Have I read enough books to be ready to teach? I don't think so. Especially for the age I'm looking to teach right now (preschool-kindergarten). So my question to all of you is, what were your favorite picture books growing up? If you are educators, librarians, or even have reviewed some pictures books what books would you suggest? I'm hoping to widen my vocabulary of reading, and hopefully soon I'll be well read enough to feel confident teaching!

P.S. Sorry about the lack of posting/reviews. Between graduating, saying goodbyes to friends, and searching for jobs I've been pretty busy. But I promise I'll be back to regular posts soon!

P.P.S. Some exciting new for me: my children's lit professor in college is the editor of this online multicultural journal. He proposed a project for me, so I'm going to read a children's books that is considered multicultural, write a review, and it will be published in the journal! Eek!

Happy Reading!

3 comments:

Mardel said...

Growing up, having my own children and working in schools I can say that my all time favorites have been Dr. Seuss Books.

And for fun, there's a couple of books about a dog named Stanly that are uproariously funny - Stanly's Wild Ride, and Stanley's Party. I might have left a word out of the titles, but those are two great books.

Books by an author named Cronin are also good. Farm Animals that type, (Click, Clack, Moo) and a sequel.

Diary of a Worm, and Diary of a Spider. Those are the ones that stand out for me.

Lost in a Book said...

Thanks so much! They all sound great!

Laina said...

Ohhh!!!!

Queen Nadine by Maryann Kovalski
Witches Four by Marc Brown
Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa by Erica Silverman
Cows in the Kitchen by June Crebbin
Pandora by William Mayne
Pirate's Treasure by Mary Kelman
The Three Little Pirates by Georgie Adams
J. A. Teddy by John Alfred Roe
Dirty Joe and the Pirate by Bill Harley
Louise, The Adventures of a Chicken by Kate DiCamillo
Cowboy & Octopus by Jon Scieszka
The Dangerous Alphabet by Neil Gaiman
Grandma and the Pirates by Phoebe Gilman
Class Three At Sea by Julia Jarman
I Love My Pirate Papa by Laura Leuck
The Mouse, The Cat, and Grandmother's Hat by Nancy Williard
How to Become a Pirate by Melinda Long
Belly Button Boy by Peter Maloney
Bigbeard's Hook by Evan Solomon

If you want more, ask!! I have tons. I work at the library in my town hosting Storytime for 3 - 5 year olds.

Related Posts with Thumbnails