Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Naughty List by Suzanne Young

As if being a purrfect cheerleader isn’t enough responsibility! Tessa Crimson’s the sweet and spunky leader of the SOS (Society of Smitten Kittens), a cheer squad–turned–spy society dedicated to bringing dastardly boyfriends to justice, one cheater at a time. Boyfriend-busting wouldn’t be so bad . . . except that so far, every suspect on the Naughty List has been proven 100% guilty!

When Tessa’s own boyfriend shows up on the List, she turns her sleuthing skills on him. Is Aiden just as naughty as all the rest, or will Tessa’s sneaky ways end in catastrophe?

The Naughty List. Is your boyfriend on it?


I wish I enjoyed this more than I did. I read some really great reviews about it and was extremely excited to get my hands on it, I even pushed it up on my TBR list. But this didn't do it for me. Tessa seemed like an impossibly perfect character, she was too perky and too optimistic all the time. It drove me nuts. Christian was a little too stalkerish-I probably would've called the cops on him! And although I thought it was a great idea that SOS tried to dispel cheerleader and other stereotypes, I actually think they might have enforced some (like being perky, jocks vs. cheerleaders, all guys being cheaters).

However, there were a few things I did like! I enjoyed the real view this novel took on teenage sexuality-that they do indeed have sex-but it wasn't overkill. I also really enjoyed the feminist cheater butt kicking! I loved how all of the females were empowered. And although Tessa always having a bright look on everything drove me a little crazy, she was cute and the nice things she said were probably things we should all be saying/thinking.

Overall, this was a super quick and fun book. Did I mention original? SOS was fantastic! I recommend this to middle-older teenage girls.

Rating: 3.5

3 comments:

Brittany said...

Thanks for the honest review. I was really excited about this but nervous too that it wasn't quite what I was expecting. I might push this back on my TBR list for now.

brizmus said...

lol! Sounds like Tessa might drive me nuts, too.
Sorry you didn't love this. Oddly enough, this one slightly negative review amdist all the positive has made me curious and thus caused me to want to read it even MORE.

Lauren said...

Pity you didn't like this as much as you hoped. I think it's probably still my kind of thing, but I'm always grateful for an honest review.

Related Posts with Thumbnails