Sunday, June 28, 2009

A Great Book

Taylor Markham was abandoned by her mother at a 7-Eleven when she was eleven years old. Now she's a leader of a boarding school house full of young girls she'd rather not care for. If you were to have ask her if she wanted the position she would've said no but now she's caught in the middle of the territory wars between the Townies and the Cadets. Worse off, Hannah (the woman who was mysteriously there to pick Taylor up when she was abandoned) is gone and no one knows (or will tell her) where she is. With a mysterious manuscript Hannah's left behind Taylor begins to piece together her past and with Jonah Griggs back in town figures out her future.

This book won the 2009 Printz award and now I can say it was fully deserved. I wasn't sure about this book when I started reading it. It was a little confusing because it begins with a piece of Hannah's manuscript. But once I became familiar with the characters in Hannah's story it was easier to follow the pieces of the narrative where Marchetta slips in snippets of the manuscript. I was instantly hooked by Taylor's voice and quickly fell in love with Raffy, Santangelo, and Griggs. I couldn't put the book down! I laughed, I cried, and I definitely would reccommend this book to anyone! I loved being surprised by a book, and boy was it a good surprise!

Now here I sit thinking about Jellicoe Road and wishing I was part of their friendship there. So because I'm thinking about that of course I'm listening to Wicked which stands as a mark of my best friend and I's friendship. I have to learn all of Glinda's vocals because her and I are going to record the whole CD on a whim. I love whims

And speaking of them, I just watched the pilot of Glee which was SO great and I cannot wait to follow it in the fall. The coolest thing is that it's a musical comedy...a TV series...a musical comedy. A-mazing. It's almost as great as the musical episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Almost!
You can watch it here: http://www.hulu.com/watch/73740/glee-pilot

Anywho. I digress. My next read is Dairy Queen and I know I'm like, years late but I cannot wait to blog about it!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails